Recently it’s been challenging for so many, especially with social media and the news media seeming to make things worse.
It can be so overwhelming and even leads many of us down a rabbit hole.
I don’t know about you, but I am making a conscious effort to have more self-care in 2023.
Rest and self-care are essential to maintaining a healthy and balanced life. It’s important to take the time to take care of ourselves, both physically and mentally, and to show ourselves the love and respect that we deserve – even more so during challenging times.
Whatever you choose to do, keep an eye toward how you feel when you’re done. Do you feel rested?
Many times, we do something, like binge TV, and feel worse afterward. That’s not what we want.
Grow your awareness of the result and you’ll find better ways to show yourself love going forward.
Here are a few ways that you can show yourself love and take care of yourself:
- Have a real conversation with friends, with your phones tucked away.
- Take a relaxing bath or shower.
- Get a massage.
- Treat yourself to a delicious meal.
- Engage in a hobby or activity that you enjoy – my husband and I recently started a new board game and a new puzzle, both of which allows us to get lost in the play.
- Read a book or watch a movie that you’ve been wanting to see.
- Take a nap or get a good night’s sleep.
- Write in a journal or express your thoughts and feelings through art.
- Go for a hike or walk outside, letting mother nature feed your soul.
- Plan a day trip and enjoy the change to your routine.
- Give yourself a compliment or remind yourself of your accomplishments and good qualities. What’s 1 small win (accomplishment) you can celebrate this week?
- Find at least one person a day (friend or stranger) who you can help in some small way.
- Limit the amount of time you spend on social media and watching/listening to the news media.
These are just a few examples of the many ways that you can rest, show yourself love, and take care of yourself. Remember that self-care is a continuous process, and it’s important to make time for it on a regular basis. You can create your own self-care routine and set aside time for it in your daily schedule.
You deserve to rest and be taken care of, just as you would take care of someone you love. Show yourself the same kindness and respect that you would show to someone else, and you’ll be on your way to a happier and healthier you.
What works for you?
I’d love to hear what self-care looks like for you.